life in the so called space age

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Designing bicycles..

So I intend to work up a submission for the International Bicycle Design Competition over the summer. You would think that this might be an easy task given the amount of time I spend on a bike as well as the amount of time I spend keeping up on products and emerging technologies in cycling. Sadly, it is not. I've a bit of "designers-block". You see, it's not enough to simply make a cool looking, functional bicycle; you need to have a gimmick. My experience in Industrial Design remains somewhat limited, but in the year I've been involved in it, it seems like the gimmicks are the fuel that makes things happen in most cases. So-called "green-ness" is a hot topic, as is helping 3rd worlders. (regardless of their thoughts on the matter!)

So I need a gimmick. I initially was on the "3rd worlders" band wagon until I did some research on what they actually need. Turns out it's additional inner tubes and trustworthy mechanics. This is not to say that I haven't considered turning my design eye towards those matters, but I rather feel like I'm reinventing the wheel.. er solid innertube, as it were.

I've got some business/empowerment ideas kicking around, and they might even impress the contest judges, but I really doubt it'd do much for the end users.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home